Public speaking

Topic: Being inclusive

Imagine you have a glass wall around you and you are standing in the middle of a playground and you can see all the amazing and fun activities but you can’t join in. 60% of children in Canada feel left out at some point in their school life.

Have you ever felt excluded? well, If you know that feeling, you know the importance of inclusion!

Hello grade 4 and Ms M,  today I will be talking about inclusion. In my opinion it is important that everyone should be included in games and activities and not to exclude others 

My first point is why it is important to include everyone. It is important to include everyone so no person feels left out, I try to make sure that everyone is included as I go through my time at school each day. People are happy when they are included in activities. Did you know you can make a lot of friends by inviting people to play with you because then you have fun and you could make new friends

My second point is that there are consequences for not including people.

The first and most important consequence is that  some people that aren’t included may feel lonely. Being excluded really damages people as they feel that they have no friends.So I want you to imagine what it would be like to have no one to talk to, no one to play with, and you are on your own- Whenever you ask someone to play with you, they reject you and they ignore you

And that you feel jealous that the others are having so much fun. So If you have excluded people you might want to say sorry, because they might feel sad or depressed and your exclusion was the reason! You never really know what is happening in other lives behind closed doors. So Kind and inclusive!

My final point is suggesting ways of how you can include people in games, activities and work. As I said above, I try to include everyone in my daily life. One example of how I do this is during Math. I am very good at math so I am sometimes asked to be a peer teacher. This means I help explain math strategies to other children in my class. Other ways that you can help are helping someone that feels down or maybe helping them achieve something important to them. 

To summarize, Including people is a good way to make friends and ensures that everyone gets to have a part in activities which makes them feel good and excluding people can lead to bad emotions and with less friends which can lead to loneliness.  If you exclude – start to include!